i2-news - Internet2 Applauds FCC, Google Broadband Goals

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

Internet2 Applauds FCC, Google Broadband Goals

  • From: Lauren Rotman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Internet2 Applauds FCC, Google Broadband Goals
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:50:10 -0500

Internet2 Applauds FCC, Google Broadband Goals

Washington, D.C. – February 18, 2010 - Gary Bachula, Internet2 vice president for External Relations provided the following response to FCC Chairman Genachowski's statement outlining the FCC's goal of delivering 100 megabit-per-second broadband service to 100 million American homes by 2020, and Google's recent initiative to provide gigabit-per-second service to residences through a system of experimental networks.

"The Internet2 community applauds the aggressive broadband goals recently announced by Google and FCC Chairman Genachowski as positive steps toward realizing the vision of meaningful advanced broadband for all citizens. Members of our community, including universities, corporations, government agencies and laboratories, state and regional research and education networks and other community anchor institutions, know firsthand how advanced applications can open doors, level playing fields and change lives.

Our community routinely provides at least one gigabit per second connections to end users extending a robust platform for the development and adoption innovative applications like telepresence, telemedicine, distance learning, and high-definition videoconferencing. Efforts like those articulated by both the FCC and Google hold significant potential to facilitate the adoption of these technologies by many more Americans.

As new applications and users continue to demand more and more bandwidth, we must also continue to move the broadband bar higher or risk falling behind again. Today’s cable modem and DSL broadband provide 100 times the capacity of the 56k modems of just fifteen years ago. Will our needs for bandwidth increase 100 times in the next fifteen years? If you look at the experience on university campuses, the answer is a resounding yes!”

ABOUT INTERNET2
Internet2 is an advanced networking consortium led by the research and education community. An exceptional partnership spanning U.S. and international institutions who are leaders in the worlds of research, academia, industry and government, Internet2 is developing breakthrough cyberinfrastructure technologies that support the most exacting applications of today—and spark the most essential innovations of tomorrow. Led by its members and focused on their current and future networking needs since 1996, Internet2 blends its human, IP and optical networks to develop and deploy revolutionary Internet technologies. Activating the same partnerships that produced today’s Internet, our community is forging the Internet of the future. For more information, see http://www.internet2.edu.

Media Contact:
Lauren Rotman

202.331.5345

  • Internet2 Applauds FCC, Google Broadband Goals, Lauren Rotman, 02/18/2010