i2-news - FirstMile.US Appoints National Broadband Leaders Lassner and Nelson to Board, Corbató Elected Chair

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

FirstMile.US Appoints National Broadband Leaders Lassner and Nelson to Board, Corbató Elected Chair

  • From: Susan Estrada <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: FirstMile.US Appoints National Broadband Leaders Lassner and Nelson to Board, Corbató Elected Chair
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:28:20 -0700

April 16, 2009 Carlsbad, CA. FirstMile.US, a nonprofit focused on
providing tools and training needed to drive broadband demand and increase
broadband deployment, today announced the appointment of two new board
members and the election of its first board chair. Steven Corbató, an
existing board member, was elected as the Chairman of the Board. David
Lassner and Michael Nelson were elected to the board. They join current
board members Vinton Cerf, Susan Estrada, Dewayne Hendricks and Lynn St.
Amour.

"These appointments exponentially increase FirstMile.US¹s strength,
brain-trust, and ability to deliver," said Susan Estrada, FirstMile.US
president. ³Under the leadership of Steve, the board members will help drive
our strategic vision to increase the reach of our tools and training --
helping drive big broadband demand and deployment in the United States.²

"For the last four years, FirstMile.US¹s grassroots efforts have been
focused on tackling the persistent last mile problem,² said Steven Corbató,
who directs cyberinfrastructure strategy at the University of Utah and is a
former network and technology leader at Internet2. ³FirstMile.US is a
driving force in spotlighting and linking local initiatives with an eye
towards the critical end goal of ubiquitous national broadband. I'm honored
to be elected chair at this tipping point for our nation¹s broadband
strategy and implementation."

Lassner is the statewide University of Hawaii's first Chief Information
Officer, past Chair of the Pacific Telecommunications Council and current
Chair of the Hawaii Broadband Task Force. "As an island state, Hawaii
presents some unique challenges in both first and middle mile connectivity,²
commented David. ³I look forward to learning and sharing more with
FirstMile.US as we work to advance the broadband capabilities of communities
throughout our nation to improve health care, education, public safety,
civic engagement and economic development for all."

³In my twenty years in the Washington D.C. -- in the Senate, at the White
House, at IBM, and now at Georgetown University -- I think we've never been
at a more critical time in the evolution of America's Internet
infrastructure,² said Michael Nelson. ³I'm glad to be able to help
FirstMile.US shape the debate at this inflection point in the development of
ubiquitous, real broadband across the country.²

About FirstMile.US
FirstMile.US is a nationally-focused non-profit. Our goal: Big Broadband
Everywhere. Our method: educating, advocating and focusing on the power and
promise of big broadband until the FirstMile.US vision‹that every member of
the American public has access to affordable, big broadband‹is achieved.

Media Contact:
Susan Estrada

760-505-0342
http://www.firstmile.us
http://demandbroadband.blogspot.com

  • FirstMile.US Appoints National Broadband Leaders Lassner and Nelson to Board, Corbató Elected Chair, Susan Estrada, 04/16/2009