i2-news - Fujitsu Collaborates with Indiana University on Optical Communications Research

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

Fujitsu Collaborates with Indiana University on Optical Communications Research

  • From: "Laurent, Bob" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Fujitsu Collaborates with Indiana University on Optical Communications Research
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:38:52 -0500

Fujitsu Collaborates with Indiana University on Optical Communications
Research

Collaboration Results in Advanced Optical Innovation and Enhanced
Opportunities for University and Corporate Researchers

RICHARDSON, Texas - April 17, 2008 - Fujitsu Network Communications, a
leading supplier of IT and wireline/wireless networking solutions,
announced today that they are successfully collaborating with Indiana
University (IU) on breakthrough research about the effects that
Polarization Mode Dispersion (PMD) can have on specific wavelengths
traveling at 40 Gbps or more. This collaboration experience between two
leading research entities, which was facilitated by their active
involvement with Internet2, will be the model for future research
networking experiments between Fujitsu and other Research & Education
(R&E) institutions.

"Indiana University is constantly looking for ways to enrich the
experiences of our research members with real-world experiments using
cutting-edge technology," said Brad Wheeler, vice president for
information technology and CIO at Indiana University. "Our collaboration
with Fujitsu has allowed us to interact with the scientists from one of
the leading research entities in optical networking. Together, using
advanced technology from Fujitsu, we were able to discover several
optical characteristics that will have a profound implication on high
speed networking across the globe. Our experience continues to be
extremely positive, and we look forward to future research projects with
Fujitsu."

The Global Research Network Operations Center (GRNOC) of IU is providing
dark fiber between Indianapolis and Bloomington, Indiana, plus access to
patch panels, electrical power, the Internet, and physical space to
conduct the tests. Fujitsu and IU collaborated on the test plan to
ensure that collected data can be used to influence future optical
networking research and commercial products. Fujitsu researchers have
conducted tests over a seven month period (with at least five more
months of experiments planned), and IU is supporting the configuration
changes during the testing phase. Fujitsu and IU are examining the test
results, and have co-authored several technical papers about their
findings, including one that was presented at the recent OFC/NFOEC
conference and exhibition in San Diego, and one that will be presented
at the OECC/ACOFT 2008 conference in Australia. Additional results will
be presented at the upcoming Internet2 Joint Techs Workshop in July
2008.

"The researchers we are working with at Indiana University are providing
exceptional support for this experiment, and are demonstrating why the
school is considered one of the best research institutions for higher
learning in America," said Takao Naito, director of Fujitsu Laboratories
of America. "We greatly appreciate the generosity of the university,
which is allowing us to conduct our research in a real-world setting
during a variety of environmental changes. This experiment and the data
we are obtaining as a result are proof that research collaboration
between corporate and university entities can result in optical
networking breakthroughs and an invaluable experience for university and
corporate researchers. We will continue to look for opportunities to
collaborate with R&E institutions through our active involvement with
Internet2."

About Fujitsu Network Communications Inc.

Fujitsu Network Communications Inc. is an innovator and strategic
partner with over 20 years of experience as a leading provider of
wireline and wireless networking solutions that solve critical business
issues and enable new services. With the support of Fujitsu Limited
(TSE:6702), a $43.2B company with over 160,000 professionals in more
than 100 countries, Fujitsu enables their customers to build or
seamlessly migrate to fully converged networks that improve network
performance and profitability. Fujitsu Limited consistently ranks within
the top 15 organizations worldwide in terms of the number of patents
granted per year and in 2006 alone, 1487 patents were issued to our
company and our employees. Nearly 400,000 Fujitsu network elements have
been deployed by all major carriers across North America. Fujitsu
maintains a well-established and highly-regarded position as a market
leader by providing the best-in-breed data networking solutions that
drive next-generation access, core, and wireless networks. For more
information, visit http://us.fujitsu.com/telecom.

FUJITSU (and design)(r) and THE POSSIBILITIES ARE INFINITE(tm) are
trademarks of Fujitsu Limited. All rights reserved. All other trademarks
are the property of their respective owners.

###

================= PRESS CONTACTS ===============

Bob Laurent
Senior Manager, Media/Analyst Relations
Fujitsu Network Communications
(972) 479-3480
mailto:

Traci King
Media/Analyst Relations Manager
Fujitsu Network Communications
(972) 479-2131
mailto:

  • Fujitsu Collaborates with Indiana University on Optical Communications Research, Laurent, Bob, 04/18/2008