i2-news - Chris Robb Named New Internet2 Network Operations Manager

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

Chris Robb Named New Internet2 Network Operations Manager

  • From: "Lauren Rotman" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Chris Robb Named New Internet2 Network Operations Manager
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:13:14 -0500

Chris Robb Named New Internet2 Network Operations Manager

ANN ARBOR, Mich. - January 18, 2008 - Internet2 today announced that Chris
Robb will join its staff as Network Operations Manager. In this role, Chris
will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the nationwide
Internet2 Network infrastructure which includes the new Dynamic Circuit
Network and its advanced IP Network. Chris will shape the priorities for the
Internet2 Network Operations Center, coordinate with network partners and
vendors, as well as manage high level operational issues for connected
members and partners. Chris assumes this position as an assigned staff
member from the Global Research Network Operations Center (GRNOC) at Indiana
University and will be located in Bloomington, IN.

"Internet2 is extremely lucky to have Chris' unique talents to fill this
critical role. Our community will greatly benefit from Chris' deep
experience in operating advanced research networks and in working in
partnership with our connectors. With the expanded services of our new
network, Chris is ideally suited to ensure the highest levels of
reliability, flexibility, and performance are delivered to the Internet2
community." said Rob Vietzke, Internet2 executive director of network
services.

Prior to this position, Chris was a network engineer with the GRNOC where he
supervised the 18-month upgrade of the Internet2 Network, working in concert
with Internet2 Network Connectors to ensure the on-time deployment of 27 new
network Points of Presence. In this role, Chris also led the in-service
transition of network traffic from the existing backbone to an entirely new
infrastructure. Chris provided day-to-day supervision of over 10 engineers
assigned to the network transition and worked closely with network partners
to ensure appropriate installation of critical network components. In
addition to his role on the Internet2 Network, Chris has also held many
technical positions within the GRNOC and Indiana University's Data Network
Services Group.

"I look forward to working more closely with the Internet2 community to
ensure our members always have the most advanced network resources at their
fingertips," said Robb. "As our community continues to evolve, our team is
uniquely qualified to provide standard services like IP and commodity
peering as well as support new disruptive technologies like the Internet2
Dynamic Circuit Network which we believe will play a key role in supporting
our members' critical work."

About Internet2(R)
Internet2 is the foremost U.S. advanced networking consortium. Led by the
research and education community since 1996, Internet2 promotes the missions
of its members by providing both leading-edge network capabilities and
unique partnership opportunities that together facilitate the development,
deployment and use of revolutionary Internet technologies. Internet2 brings
the U.S. research and academic community together with technology leaders
from industry, government and the international community to undertake
collaborative efforts that have a fundamental impact on tomorrow's Internet.

For more information: http://www.internet2.edu

CONTACT:
Lauren Rotman
Internet2

  • Chris Robb Named New Internet2 Network Operations Manager, Lauren Rotman, 01/18/2008