i2-news - I2-NEWS: Governor Joseph E. Kernan to Address Internet2 Community at Annual Fall Member Meeting

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: Governor Joseph E. Kernan to Address Internet2 Community at Annual Fall Member Meeting

  • From: Michelle Pollak <>
  • To:
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: Governor Joseph E. Kernan to Address Internet2 Community at Annual Fall Member Meeting
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:33:48 -0400

GOVERNOR JOSEPH E. KERNAN TO ADDRESS INTERNET2 COMMUNITY AT
ANNUAL FALL MEMBER MEETING IN INDIANAPOLIS

Indiana Governor Joseph E. Kernan will address more than 600 members of the Internet2(R) community in Indianapolis on the benefits of Internet2 advanced networks to Indiana, particularly the high-speed optical fiber networks, I-Light and I-Light2.  Kernan will remark on how these technologies, as well as other programs, will benefit research institutions and communities through advanced economic development activity across Indiana.

WHAT: The Internet2 annual fall member meeting is scheduled for Oct. 13-16, with more than 600 university, affiliate and corporate members in attendance.  Internet2 is a consortium of more than 200 leading U.S. universities working with industry and government to develop and deploy advanced network applications and technologies for research and higher education seeking to accelerate the creation of tomorrow’s Internet.  This year’s meeting will focus on the innovative applications and the underlying high-performance network infrastructures that enable them.

WHEN: Tues., Oct. 14 from 10:15 – 11:45 a.m. EST (-5 UTC/GMT)

WHERE: Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, 350 W. Maryland Street, (317) 822-3500

WHO: + Governor Joseph E. Kernan
        + Douglas Van Houweling, president and CEO, Internet2
        + Michael A. McRobbie, vice president for information technology and CIO and vice president for research, Indiana University
        + Paul Messina, distinguished senior computer scientist, Argonne National Lab

REPORTERS/ASSIGNMENT EDITORS: To R.S.V.P. or to schedule time with the Governor or the other speakers, please contact Michelle Pollak at (202) 285-4590 or .

###

About I-Light and I-Light2
I-Light is a very high-speed optical fiber network connecting Indiana University Bloomington, Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis, and Purdue University West Lafayette to each other.  I-Light also connects all three campuses to the national Internet infrastructure, including Internet2.  The state of Indiana recently granted $10 million ($5 million a year for 2004-2005) to extend I-Light into other areas of the state.  This phase, called I-Light2, may contribute further economic benefits for Indiana, by correlating with Energize Indiana objectives, which call for the state to focus on four main industries, including life sciences and information technology to enhance its economy.

About Internet2(R)
Led by more than 200 U.S. universities, working with industry and government, Internet2 is developing and deploying advanced network applications and technologies for research and higher education, accelerating the creation of tomorrow’s Internet.  Internet2 recreates the partnerships among academia, industry, and government that helped foster today’s Internet in its infancy.  For more information about Internet2, visit: http://www.internet2.edu/.

Contact:
Michelle Pollak, Internet2
(202) 285-4590

Christine Fitzpatrick, Indiana University
(317) 278-1818

  • I2-NEWS: Governor Joseph E. Kernan to Address Internet2 Community at Annual Fall Member Meeting, Michelle Pollak, 10/10/2003