i2-news - Advanced Networking at EDUCAUSE 2002

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

Advanced Networking at EDUCAUSE 2002

  • From: Greg Wood <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Advanced Networking at EDUCAUSE 2002
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:02:06 -0400

Advanced Networking at EDUCAUSE 2002

The sessions below may be of interest to members of the Internet2
community attending EDUCAUSE 2002 in Atlanta next week, 1-4 October.
For complete details about EDUCAUSE 2002, see:
http://www.educause.edu/conference/e2002/

EDUCAUSE and Internet2 have teamed up to netcast two General Sessions and eight Featured Speakers at this year's conference. For complete netcast details, see:
http://www.educause.edu/conference/e2002/netcast.asp

WEDNESDAY, October 2

2:15 p.m. - 3:05 p.m.
NSF Middleware Initiative: New Features, New Opportunities
B309

* Alan R. Blatecky, Program Director, Advanced Networking
Infrastructure, National Science Foundation
* Renee Woodten Frost, Assistant Director, Middleware Initiative,
Internet2
* Thomas Garritano, Project Manager, the Computational Institute,
Argonne National Laboratory
* Mary Fran Yafchak, IT Program Coordinator, Southeastern Universities Research Association

Session convener: Ann West, Outreach, NMI, Michigan Technological University

Managing electronic personal identity, security, access, and information
exchange is critical to letting scientists, engineers, and educators
transparently use and share distributed resources. This seminar offers
information on the new release of the National Science Foundation
Middleware Initiative and how to acquire the components for use on your
campus.

THURSDAY, October 3

8:10 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Staying Put and Going Virtual: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love
Virtual Conferences
B304

* Laurie L. Burns, Director, Member Activities, Internet2
* Theodore A. Hanss, Director, Applications Development, Internet2

Session convener: William Gruszka, Chief Information Officer, Southern
Polytechnic State University

This session describes Internet2's experiences with conducting
multisite, multitechnology virtual events. The fall 2001 Virtual
Internet2 Member Meeting will be presented as a case study, including
video clips. The session will include technical descriptions and a look
ahead to the future of virtual collaborations for the research and
education community.

8:10 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Featured Speaker: Beyond Bandwidth
B406
(live netcast: http://www.educause.edu/conference/e2002/netcast.asp )

* James D. Bruce, Vice President for Information Systems, MIT

Session convener: Gregory A. Jackson, Vice President & CIO, University
of Chicago

Today, commercial network providers as well as the higher education
community through Internet2 can provide network bandwidth and
capabilities far beyond what we could only imagine a few short years
ago. The availability of these network services leads to three
questions: How will our faculty, staff, and students use the new
possibilities that they have for research, teaching, and learning, and
for leisure? Can we afford the costs? What new technology services are
necessary to make the network even more valuable? The presentation will
provide examples to illustrate implications for the future.

11:45 a.m. - 12:35 p.m.
Featured Speaker: The Development and Future of the IT World: Higher
Education's Role
B406
(live netcast: http://www.educause.edu/conference/e2002/netcast.asp )

* Douglas Van Houweling, President & CEO, Internet2

Session convener: Rebecca L. King, Director for Information Systems &
Services, Baylor University

As we tend to our daily tasks, we often fail to recognize the impact the
higher education community has had on the evolution of today's
information technology environment. What have we accomplished? What were
the keys to our influence and success? What should we focus on now? What
are the prospects for continued success? And, how important will that
success be to the future of our institutions, our communities, and the
world?

12:45 p.m. - 2:05 p.m.
EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Computer & Network Security Task Force (Open Meeting)
B306

* Daniel A. Updegrove, Vice President for Information Technology,
University of Texas at Austin
* Gordon D. Wishon, CIO, Associate VP & Associate Provost, University of
Notre Dame

Learn more about the initiatives of the Task Force and opportunities for
participation or leadership. Attendees are also encouraged to bring
questions

4:55 p.m. - 6:10 p.m.
Internet2: Organizational Update
B302

* Renee Woodten Frost, Assistant Director, Middleware Initiative,
Internet2
* Theodore A. Hanss, Director, Applications Development, Internet2

This session will provide a basic overview of advanced networking
capabilities being explored and deployed by the Internet2 community,
including advanced network services, middleware, and applications. It
will also cover current Internet2 working group activities and help
attendees understand the implications of these efforts for their
campuses. A recent history of U.S. and international research and
education networks is also included.

SEMINARS
** Note: Separate registration and fee is required to attend these
seminars. For more information, see:
http://www.educause.edu/conference/e2002/seminars.asp

TUESDAY, October 1

8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Middleware Planning and Deployment 101: Setting the Stage
B305

* Mark Crase, Senior Director, Technology Infrastructure, California
State University, Office of the Chancellor
* Renee Woodten Frost, Assistant Director, Middleware Initiative,
Internet2
* Ann West, Outreach, NMI, Michigan Technological University

Middleware is a layer of software services that manages electronic
personal identity, security, access, and information exchange. It is a
critical component of expanding technology offerings and electronic
communities at higher education institutions. This session will prepare
attendees for the accompanying session, Middleware Planning and
Deployment 102: Mapping Out Your Strategy (Seminar 15P).

8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Middleware: Directory Day!
B316

* Thomas J. Barton, Director of IT Infrastructure, The University of
Memphis
* Michael R. Gettes, Principal Technologist, Georgetown University

This session will concentrate on identifiers, directories, and
authentication. Using context from the LDAP Recipe for Configuring and
Operating Directories, we will present design and implementation
strategies for directories and directory applications. We will cover
naming, performance, access controls, schema design and management,
application design, and issues associated with integration of enterprise
and LAN middleware, plus legacy system interactions.

1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Middleware Planning and Deployment 102: Mapping Out Your Strategy
B302

* Thomas J. Barton, Director of IT Infrastructure, The University of
Memphis
* Renee Woodten Frost, Assistant Director, Middleware Initiative,
Internet2
* John J. Suess, CIO, Office of Information Technology, University of
Maryland, Baltimore County
* Ann West, Outreach, NMI, Michigan Technological University

Deploying middleware on campuses requires negotiations, policy and
process reviews, and technology planning and implementation. This
seminar will address issues about middleware deployments and offer case
studies and solutions. Participants will discuss concerns and develop an
action plan. For an introduction to middleware, refer to the morning
session, Middleware Planning and Deployment 101: Setting the Stage
(Seminar 15A).