i2-news - I2-NEWS: First-Ever Next Generation Internet Protocol Performance Record Set in Internet2 Land Speed Record Competition

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: First-Ever Next Generation Internet Protocol Performance Record Set in Internet2 Land Speed Record Competition

  • From: Greg Wood <>
  • To:
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: First-Ever Next Generation Internet Protocol Performance Record Set in Internet2 Land Speed Record Competition
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:42:21 -0400

FIRST-EVER NEXT GENERATION INTERNET PROTOCOL PERFORMANCE RECORD SET IN
INTERNET2 LAND SPEED RECORD COMPETITION

Team from University of Oregon, the Oregon Gigapop and NYSERNet set
initial mark in IPv6 Category

Washington, DC--September 26, 2002--The University of Oregon, the Oregon
Gigapop and NYSERNet, a New York-based not-for-profit leading-edge
networking organization, have set the first record for Internet
performance using IPv6, the next generation Internet protocol, as part
of the ongoing Internet2 Land Speed Record (I2-LSR) competition.

By transferring 3.47 gigabytes over 3000 miles (4810 km) of network from
Eugene, Oregon to Syracuse, New York in one hour, the team set an I2-LSR
IPv6 category record of 39.81 terabit meters per second. The mark was
established in the course of an ongoing project that uses IPv6 to
transfer over 60 gigabytes of Internet newsgroup data between the
institutions each day.

"We're delighted that the staff of the University of Oregon Computing
Center and the Oregon Gigapop had the opportunity to collaborate with
our colleagues at NYSERNet, as well as the staff of Abilene, the staff
of the Indiana network operations center, and the Internet2 End-to-End
Performance Initiative on this groundbreaking project," noted Joanne
Hugi, Associate Vice President, Information Services at the University
of Oregon. "There's no question that routine delivery of real-world
production information services of this sort is the best tangible proof
that native IPv6 service stands ready to meet the current and emerging
needs of the higher education high performance networking community."

"In just the past year we have seen dramatic progress in the
availability and maturity of IPv6 networking," said Tim Lance, President
of NYSERNet. "The connection between NYSERNet and the University of
Oregon changed from a set of hand-configured tunnels to a fully native
path across the Abilene backbone network that is approaching the same
performance as the IPv4 network. Now that we have a transcontinental
network supporting IPv4 and IPv6 over the same infrastructure, we
believe the time has come for us to deploy real applications over IPv6
and work with our members to make it a reality on their campuses."

"As the first record-setters in the IPv6 category of the Internet2 Land
Speed Record, NYSERNet, the University of Oregon, and the Oregon Gigapop
have provided an important demonstration of IPv6's readiness to support
day-to-day network applications," said Rich Carlson, network research
scientist at Argonne National Laboratory, and chair of the I2-LSR
judging panel.

Internet2 Land Speed Record entries are judged on a combination of how
much bandwidth they use and how much distance they cover end-to-end,
using standard Internet (TCP/IP) protocols. The Internet2 Land Speed
Record is an open and ongoing competition. Details of the winning
entries, complete rules, submission guidelines and additional information is available at:
http://www.internet2.edu/html/i2lsr.shtml

About Internet2(R)
Led by 200 U.S. universities, working with industry and government,
Internet2 is developing and deploying advanced network applications and
technologies for research and higher education, accelerating the
creation of tomorrow's Internet. Internet2 recreates the partnerships
among academia, industry, and government that helped foster today's
Internet in its infancy. For more information about Internet2, see:
http://www.internet2.edu/

About NYSERNet
NYSERNet's mission is to advance network technologies and applications
that enable collaboration and promote technology transfer for research
and education, expanding these to government, industry, and the broader
community. For more information about NYSERNet, see:
http://www.nysernet.org/

About the University of Oregon
Dating from 1876 and located in the heart of Oregon's scenic Willamette
Valley, the University of Oregon has an enrollment of 19,000 students
and is the state's flagship AAU research university, offering
undergraduate and graduate degrees in the liberal arts and sciences,
architecture, business, education, journalism, law, and music.

The University of Oregon is a charter member of Internet2, and hosts and
operates the Oregon Gigapop which provides Internet2 connectivity for
the University of Oregon, Oregon State University, Eastern Oregon
University, Oregon Institute of Technology, Southern Oregon University,
and the Oregon Public Education Network (the state's public K12 network,
and an Abilene SEGP participant). For more information about the
University of Oregon,
see http://www.uoregon.edu/

Contacts:
Internet2