i2-news - Internet HDTV Meeting Invitation

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

Internet HDTV Meeting Invitation

  • From: ResearchChannel <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Internet HDTV Meeting Invitation
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:46:31 -0800 (PST)
  • Message-tag: 248

Colleague,
This is an invitation to participate in the first "Internet HDTV/DV"
meeting/workshop in Seattle on January 25-26.

The purpose of the meeting is to further the development and use
of extreme-quality Internet video applications and infrastructure. (Our
shorthand for this is "Internet HDTV" but we will be covering DV as well.)
Our keynote speaker will be Mari Maeda, from the Defense Advanced Research
Projects Agency (DARPA).

Below is a little more background on what we have in mind for the meeting.

Please see http://www.ihdtv.org for more information and to register.

Sincerely,
Planning Committee
ResearchChannel/University of Washington/PNWGP

-----------------------

EVENT

Internet HDTV/DV Workshop

HOSTS

ResearchChannel, the University of Washington,
and the Pacific/NorthWest GigaPOP

DATES

Thursday morning January 25 thru Friday noon January 26, 2001

LOCATION

UW campus, Seattle, Washington

OBJECTIVE

To further the development and use of "extreme-quality Internet video".
In particular, to:

o Review the state-of-the-art of Internet HDTV and DV via presentations
by vendors and institutions who have active pilots or deployment plans
for sending "extreme quality" video over Internet links.

o Discuss the necessary "next steps" toward deployment of a robust
Internet-based infrastructure for both real-time and on-demand access
to such extreme-quality video content.

o Identify "missing pieces" for various classes of applications using
extreme-quality Internet video.

AUDIENCE

Anyone actively involved in extreme-quality Internet video distribution
and collaboration tools. In particular:

o Research and Education institutions

o HD/DV video equipment and service vendors

o Next-generation Internet infrastructure providers.

o Broadcast and post-production organizations.

Expected meeting size: approximately 50 people.

AGENDA

Planned topics include:

o Brief technology overview

o Taxonomy of the Internet HD/DV video application space.

o Review current Internet HD and DV projects.

o Discussion of infrastructure and middleware issues, e.g.

-What, if any, advances do we need from router and pipe vendors?

-What kind of storage infrastructure is needed to support
extreme-quality video-on-demand?

-Do we need QoS? If so, in what form?

-Is access control an application problem or an infrastructure
problem?

-Is pervasive support for extreme-bandwidth multicast a
realistic goal? What about Specific-Source Multicast?

o Discussion of application issues, e.g.

-For video streams in the 5-50 Mbps quality range, is MPEG2 or
MPEG4 going to win?

-How low does the latency need to be for highly interactive apps?

-Who is going to solve the indexing/searching problem for VOD?

-Who is going to solve the system-level issues surrounding
multi-point collaboration (e.g. session moderation), and are
these issues any different with extreme-quality video?

o Discussion of policy and legal issues, e.g.

-What are the intellectual property and regulatory issues
surrounding Internet HDTV?

-Bandwidth economics: when will this be affordable?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION