i2-news - I2-NEWS: New Director Announced for Internet2 Backbone Network Infrastructure

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: New Director Announced for Internet2 Backbone Network Infrastructure

  • From: "Greg Wood" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: New Director Announced for Internet2 Backbone Network Infrastructure
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:02:24 -0500

New Director Announced for Internet2 Backbone Network Infrastructure

March 24, 2000 – Washington, DC – Internet2™ today announced that Steven C.
Corbató will begin as the Director of Backbone Network Infrastructure on
June 5, 2000. In his new position, Dr. Corbató will work with Internet2
members and the broader networking community to plan and implement the
technical and operational aspects of Internet2’s backbone network evolution.
He will also be responsible for shaping the strategic plans for, and
directing the day-to-day operations of, Abilene, a nationwide Internet2
backbone network.

“We’re extremely pleased to have Steve coming on board,” said Douglas Van
Houweling, President & CEO of the University Corporation for Advanced
Internet Development, the organization supporting Internet2. “Steve brings
the combination of experience and skills needed to help ensure Internet2
continues to foster the high-performance networking infrastructure research
and education need.”

“I’m really looking forward to working with the broad Internet2 community to
take the next giant steps to keep us at the forefront of Internet
development,” said Steve Corbató. “This opportunity is a natural extension
of the work we've accomplished in recent years at the University of
Washington in conjunction with the research and education community in the
Pacific Northwest and our national and international partners.”

Dr. Corbató has previously served as the lead for the University of
Washington’s advanced and commercial Internet engineering activities,
including high-performance connections to the Internet2 backbones Abilene
and the very high performance Backbone Network Service, as well as the
National Transparent Optical Network (NTON) and High Speed Connectivity
Consortium (HSCC). He has served on the Abilene Technical Advisory
Committee, has been the chair of the Internet2 Routing Working Group since
its inception, and was on the initial Internet2 Architecture Committee from
1996 to 1997. Earlier he was a research faculty member in the Physics
Department at the University of Utah, where he became involved in wide area
networking. He earned his undergraduate and doctorate degrees in physics at
Rice University and the University of Pennsylvania, respectively.

About Internet2(tm)
Internet2 is developing and deploying advanced network applications and
technologies for research and higher education, accelerating the creation of
tomorrow’s Internet. Internet2 recreates the partnership of academia,
industry and government that helped foster today's Internet in its infancy.
For more information about Internet2, see:
http://www.internet2.edu/