i2-news - I2-NEWS: Internet2 Multicast of Wonderfest 2000 February 12-13

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

I2-NEWS: Internet2 Multicast of Wonderfest 2000 February 12-13

  • From: "Greg Wood" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: I2-NEWS: Internet2 Multicast of Wonderfest 2000 February 12-13
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 13:37:57 -0500

Contact:
Tucker Hiatt
Director, Wonderfest

415/713-5895

SCIENCE COMES ALIVE ON THE INTERNET, FEBRUARY 12-13

Can machines think? Is life common throughout the cosmos? Are non-human
animals conscious? Such questions will be tackled by pairs of world-class
researchers as part of Wonderfest 2000, the Internet Festival of Science, on
Saturday and Sunday, February 12-13. Complete information can be found
online at http://www.wonderfest.org or by calling 415/455-4655.

Wonderfest dialogues take place at U.C. Berkeley, Stanford, and U.C. San
Francisco throughout the weekend. In all, sixteen pairs of distinguished
scientists from leading San Francisco Bay Area research institutions will be
discussing and debating recent findings. Noted speakers include:

Stanford's Terry Winograd, creator of one of the first computer programs
credited with exhibiting artificial intelligence; U.C. Berkeley's Geoff
Marcy, Earth's premier discoverer of planets outside the solar system; the
Gorilla Foundation's Penny Patterson, the researcher who taught Koko the
gorilla to use and understand over 1000 sign language expressions; and U.C.
Santa Cruz's Frank Drake, the first scientist ever to conduct a formal
search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI).

All sixteen Wonderfest sessions will be Internet2(tm) Multicast thanks to
support from New Scientist Magazine and Media NOW!, Inc. See
http://www.wonderfest.org/WonderCast_2000/wondercast_2000.html for more
information about receiving the Internet2 Multicast of Wonderfest2000

"We live in a wondrous time," says Tucker Hiatt, founder and director of
Wonderfest. "And if you're through wondering, you're through."

"The rational investigation of our world is the grandest human adventure
with the most significant long-term implications imaginable. Every
inquisitive person regardless of age, sex, experience, or culture can enjoy
the intellectual challenges and rewards that science offers."

Wonderfest 2000 is endorsed by the Space Sciences Laboratory of the
University of California. Its supporters include Activate.net Corporation,
The Branson School, Media Now!, New Scientist Magazine, the David and Lucile
Packard Foundation, Tech-Star Industries, Wind River Systems, and Yahoo!,
Inc.

Access to online Wonderfest events can be found at
http://www.wonderfest.org. Further information about Wonderfest is
available at 415/455-4655 (info line), or by contacting Tucker Hiatt,
Director of Wonderfest,
,
415/713-5895, P.O. Box 887,
Ross, California 94957. Media questions can also be directed to Melissa
Fernandez at 415/377-4701.