grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] New grouper user here, trying to get log4j.properties to update

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] New grouper user here, trying to get log4j.properties to update

  • From: "Hyzer, Chris" <>
  • To: "" <>, Michael Porter <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] New grouper user here, trying to get log4j.properties to update
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 03:53:54 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=isc.upenn.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=isc.upenn.edu; dkim=pass header.d=isc.upenn.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=yl4y8kg5IHP3ztnTvIaqaSrcFBlwAArj4/EMa0pvQdU=; b=nvISe8kkO7ezVsCR594w004ovmBVJPvUSBWeGe8AFW6e7cfMN7VouXFVb26uzLGfnNq6UP3rNFaXX7pWwtBHaNM3olK705Uzvd0N8vIBI8FxIZo1COj+Jos0c0UEcYtsRDu6XaskyaSQQjnXp8oggAir1IHHWYyd7qSzb13fRZnODzuBr0PhOVIgNs8k+cTH1B4Cqsa+MaMMjL+rEi6Be/4h2vDkUFkJrvKv3pKct1fkrPKCMSAsr8YPky0iFHrANVLx2t3RsVog/wy/G8ydCPraDs5UcInF5SS2BofLmPyAehHXa+XQBlRmm5HQ73+YWpfLMPgdMShgTKB401siZg==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=Flv0SA/45kHRdr5WGhPJKiQOcNR3KgGIAGPR4kgsDKWuG7bLL+gV5VuxOtBbXWHuy65usk3QI4i1uZ8raLFjj9AYBnxypBivq489magYR/jVABXPFdQcF5VRdI9A45igIxBd2B+tC2djun8lTdKaiNpDw+nYYUOypecc1hxD05hPYV1rN2PbfSyKVbNaBRoBD+Y+WGOe4ZXfyxJjMkOYt4DneiPi+rYBbLXA00CvnrxVMcyGhv02t+ZU2CjmNGPMMRCF5NYBoz25MY7wssPhUv3BGEgdemKbywYfO0fzwNA1ybSRshEdKXJOHIM1HoMUuyZyLTOUiioAoihiI6AEGA==

Are you on slack?  The incommon-grouper channel might be a good place to get support for things like this.

Hi,

> Grouper 2.5.33
>
> I would like to change the log4j.properties properties file.
>
> It looks like log4j.properties does not use the '.base'.' mechanism that some of the other property files use.  So, I thought the best way to get changes in would be to make a new docker image as so:

yes, no "base".  you can make a new docker image or mount a log4j on top of old

> cat /opt/grouperContainer/Dockerfile
>
> # this matches the version you decided on from release notes
> ARG GROUPER_VERSION=2.5.33
>
> FROM i2incommon/grouper:${GROUPER_VERSION}
>
> # this will overlay all the files from /opt/grouperContainer/slashRoot on to /
> COPY slashRoot/ /
> COPY slashRoot/opt/grouper/grouperWebapp/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties /opt/grouper/grouperWebapp/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties

if you copy slashroot you dont need to copy the file again... so you can remove the second directive

> RUN chown -R tomcat:tomcat /opt/grouper \
>  && chown -R tomcat:tomcat /opt/tomee

Not sure you need to do this, but doesnt hurt

> And:
>
> cd /opt/grouperContainer
> docker build -t my-grouper-2.5.33 /opt/grouperContainer
>
> However, the log4j.properties is never updated in the new image.  New files will be added, but no updates.  I've tried Googling this topic, but answers are all over the place.
>
> I can do a manual copy from within the image and that works, and it seems like I could possibly add a script somewhere to do the copy when the image starts.

If you bash into the container you should see your log4j.properties in there, right?  That means its using it.  Slack me and we can have a session to talk through it and see whats going on.

thanks!

[...]

But, something just seems wrong here.  Either COPY does not overwrite existing files or I have some other fundamental misunderstanding.

I'm not yet skilled enough to build a new image from source, either.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Porter