grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Class Rosters for Grouper

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Class Rosters for Grouper

  • From: Blair X Christensen <>
  • To: Bill Thompson <>
  • Cc: Grouper Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Class Rosters for Grouper
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2020 20:09:36 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=uchicago.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=uchicago.edu; dkim=pass header.d=uchicago.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=yzZ9MhwMUuhdo1YtnktiaDq1HLTEZFfUdnwBOjZh+Oc=; b=EcMhostQeDh5Njqss6AEB2SjHdL84IB0qWYZ60CPogakm9cTtbpvhrX8eB0Z14fZWGRLc141sWyHAoNikTCCfWig7aST/4QGruvx+KbXTmJ5I1UaQkhWJ8brGJBKEgPkVqjsi6h5d3bS1r+rR/AsP2pDU/meSc/9Z1rG8Fi+3BNJPeARZ0J11AOs7oPFmVV9Uay/SImjP0nWiHso4HtxrZsJJ9Y2LcDC/UVcAmPhMDmqx8lSplczE7kxvzEzuN1kc8/kP0dDkoPoSz7ffZ4SU5EUv78aqF6dv12z5IIN46/W2oe5Su1giextkll2TxC50+kOoXZ8uE69h9tV6BmwJw==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=Vo36RflHAIMzUnDserIWt6cPiNaXANB3PKAubMCHneIaVgVFeHpb+pyWmqDXimiKgvam5mIMR8mbi5wDYGsUjOwDCL+oVYpWQEk0Rj6EZp4rHycQJIVUPkyn4nqG7H7Z1jHgT5QkGcTiyJSsJzh7yGLArXC3QRpistSBWx5H4kfwNRykZZoNxIo4+Rw6CTwl8aQNIytLlKPoBKUvwk9Ie3nFaf6oBFias4F5hZjvV4VYC55GrIx99nwuz4ahTYSf5Y74xNUSOTHu67KS75Eadr8wda6zHIEdjuaS6UJCY6QrBR0EBf6loaRIYqhF+DcUAvNQdhGNUDzjDotLvoDifQ==

I have plenty of regrets.

1. IIRC uchicago added course groups to Grouper with the idea being that if
they were available people would use them. They didn't, for the most part.
I would definitely recommend having some demand/actual use cases before
proceeding.

2. Related: attempting to map the full complexity of classes to Grouper
(instructors, TAs, multiple sections, cross listings, lab sections,
discussion sections, auditors, etc) can be challenging. Made worse if you
are supporting all of that complexity and no one is really using it.

3. Have a plan for how you intend to handle old classes, whether deleting,
archiving or whatever.

In an ideal world I still think these groups could be useful but the complex
model we created can be a turn off for individuals. In addition, most people
who are really interested in making significant use of this data end up going
straight to the source and get the precise data that they are interested in
direct from the student system itself. I don't blame them.

blair @ uchicago