grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] "cursor" based paging

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] "cursor" based paging

  • From: "Gettes, Michael" <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: " Mailing List" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] "cursor" based paging
  • Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 16:16:46 +0000

Will this paging be implemented for the UI so opening a 500K member group in the UI could be instantaneous?

/mrg

On Dec 1, 2019, at 10:16 PM, Hyzer, Chris <> wrote:

[External Email]
The paging in Grouper has been about pageSize and pageNumber and cycling through records.

If you page through a large dataset, if the records change while you are paging through, you can get inconsistent results.

However, if pass in the last id (or whatever you are sorting on), and ask for a page starting after that record (what we are calling “cursor-paging”), then you will not miss records as they change while the paging is occurring.  Note, no database or memory actual cursors are being used here.

This has been implemented in the 2.5 branch and will be in the WS in 2.5.

Does that make sense?  Anyone interested in a particular use case?

For our box implementation we download the box users with netIDs.  Which is getting 70k subjects and resolving them I believe.  The WS call times out sometimes so maybe we should do something like this.  Other ideas?  😊

Thanks!