grouper-users - [grouper-users] grouper.cache.properties question.....

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] grouper.cache.properties question.....

  • From: "Black, Carey M." <>
  • To: " Mailing List" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] grouper.cache.properties question.....
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 03:34:10 +0000

Some time back I found ehcache temp files stacking up and I decided to push
them off to a different filesystem to avoid "out of space" issues where they
were being spawned.
When I did that I also ( maybe unjustifiably ) decided that the UI, WS and
daemon JVM's should have independent locations for their disk based (L2)
cache files.

I did a bit of "light reading" on the topic and it appears that: ( REF:
https://www.ehcache.org/documentation/2.8/faq.html )
"
Is it thread-safe to modify element values after retrieval from a Cache?
Remember that a value in a cache element is globally accessible from multiple
threads. It is inherently not thread-safe to modify the value. It is safer to
retrieve a value, delete the cache element, and then reinsert the value.
"

So.. my questions.

1) Should the separate JVM's ( UI/WS/daemon, all on the same host ) use
separate cache file locations? ( Is it reasonable to be concerned about this
detail? )
2) Are there any performance tuning suggestions about grouper's use of
ehcache? ( other than file store location(s). )
Maybe things like....
If you have "X" in your grouper then you should likely set
"yyy.maxElementsInMemory" to 30% of "X".
Don't mess with the defaults, they scale well and you might
break something if you go mucking about in there...

:)

--
Carey Matthew