grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.mortbay.jetty.HttpException - Missing jetty-6.1.26.jar

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.mortbay.jetty.HttpException - Missing jetty-6.1.26.jar

  • From: "Black, Carey M." <>
  • To: Reid Watson <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.mortbay.jetty.HttpException - Missing jetty-6.1.26.jar
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 02:23:58 +0000

Reid,

Before someone else asks... How did you install grouper?

Via the grouperInstaller.jar or using a docker container?

If grouperInstaller.jar
Did you install the SCIM server extension? ( I am guessing no. But I
have no knowledge that it would fix your error either. But maybe...)
Did you install the ESB extension? ( I am also guessing no. But I
have no knowledge that it would fix your error either. But maybe...)

If using a Docker container:
Which patch level are you using?

FWIW: (not exactly what you're looking for...)

I have managed to get the core grouper Messaging to work without those
extensions.
But found that the AWS SNS integration code nowhere to be found in my
install. ( I also had "missing classes" when I tried the esb.publisher that
was in my install. I don't remember what class it complained about at the
moment. Though I do not have SCIM server extension installed. Maybe that was
my error? )

I did get the AWS SQS integration working after installing the ESB extension
and fumbling with the configuration for a few days. ( Ugh. )
I resorted to using the .aws/config file to set the [default]
region=<value> setting. ( Sigh )
Then I finally got a "bad password" error ( finally something kind of
worked)... ( Using capital "oh"'s and Zero's in a password is not a good idea
when a human needs to type them. Always. <-- fail )
Then I had miss read the code and thought the ".queueOrTopicName"
value needed to be the URL for the queue.
It only needs to be the name of the Queue for SQS. The
authenticated AWS session looks up the URL for the queue. DOH!
I was getting an "unknown queue" error... "But the config
value looked 'right' to me". ( Sigh. A forehead flattener for sure. Really
self-inflicted, so don’t do that. :) )
Finally the messages were sent.
Lastly.. I had to enhance the ChangeLogConsumerToMessage.java to
support "obvious" features like ( I mostly "copied/altered" from the
src.esb.edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.changeLog.esb.consumer.EsbConsumer
code into my change log consumer) :
Filter the event sent ( It was sending all of them.)
Support adding Subject attributes. ( It did not have that
feature.)
Filter the attributes sent ( it was sending all of them.)

Now that I am writing this I really should have also added a
setting for the AWS region and figured out how to add that to the AWS auth
process.... ( Feature enhancement! )

Sigh, another custom Change Log consumer.

Oh and if you are being told to install anything that is jetty-6.1. You
should likely just run away.
It looks like jetty 6 was deprecated/end of life in 2010.( About a decade
ago.) 9.2 was EOL'ed Jan 2018. ( Yikes! )
Jetty 9.3 or 9.4 are listed as "stable".

And I have no idea why a "Jetty" jars would be needed.
Are you using Tomcat? ( as most default grouper installs would use? )

Maybe the SCIM server was only designed to run in a JETTY server?! Or needs
some libs that Tomcat did/does(?) not have?!

--
Carey Matthew