grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] tuning LDAP connections

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] tuning LDAP connections

  • From: "Redman, Chad" <>
  • To: Shilen Patel <>, Baron Fujimoto <>
  • Cc: Grouper Users <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] tuning LDAP connections
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 15:00:24 +0000

Yes, for 2.2, you can add raw vt-ldap configuration parameters in an
ldap.properties file, and then point to it in sources.xml with a
ldapProperties_file property in sources.xml. If you don't have a
ldap.properties.example file to start from, you can look at
https://github.com/Internet2/grouper/blob/GROUPER_2_2_BRANCH/subject/conf/ldap.properties.example.
The main ones for tuning would be the pooling options and pooling validator
option.

If you want to add a pool validator, in 2.2 the configuration needs to be in
sources.xml, not ldap.properties. Due to its weird design, the validator
properties are in the pool factory config rather than the pool config, so
they can't be set directly via vt-ldap properties. Instead, Grouper handles
them as special parameters and sets of the factory correctly. So it would
look like:

<init-param>
<param-name>VTLDAP_VALIDATOR</param-name>
<param-value>CompareLdapValidator</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>VTLDAP_VALIDATOR_COMPARE_DN</param-name>
<param-value>ou=people,dc=example,dc=edu</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>VTLDAP_VALIDATOR_COMPARE_SEARCH_FILTER_STRING</param-name>
<param-value>(ou=people)</param-value>
</init-param>

For 2.4, Shilen's wiki link should cover the basic options for ldaptive. It
doesn't currently mention the defaults, which I think are:

minPoolSize: 3
maxPoolSize: 10
validateTimerPeriod: (-> org.ldaptive.pool.validatePeriod=1800 * 1000)
1800000 ms or 30 minutes
validateTimeout: (->org.ldaptive.pool.validateTimeout=5000) 5 seconds? I
don't see our code handling it, so it's possibly not settable
timeout: (->org.ldaptive.connectTimeout=-1) -1
timeLimit: I don't think this does anything? It's specific to a search, so
there's nothing connection-related to set

Other undocumented ldaptive properties can also be set; just replace
"org.ldaptive." with "ldap.youServerId." and I believe the code will revert
it and pass it to ldaptive.

-Chad