grouper-users - [grouper-users] How to handle semester changes

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] How to handle semester changes

  • From: Richard Frovarp <>
  • To: " Mailing List" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] How to handle semester changes
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 20:52:26 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

We're just getting started with Grouper, and find it to be an
interesting solution that should be able to do a lot for us. We have a
fairly robust custom engineered IAM at this point in time.

I'm trying to figure out how to handle semester changes in Grouper. We
have multiple different methods that we are currently using for
different departments on campus. Some departments have hard cut dates,
where as other departments may occassionally consider two semesters to
be active at one time. For examples:

- Gym cut to spring semester day after commencement

- Health clinic likely had spring and fall semester active during break

- Student email lists - don't know what they did as they have a current
self service method I developed

- Other processes also vary

My two questions probably over complicate process, which is why I'm
providing the context above to avoid a XY problem type question.

Is there a way to use a group attribute as a parameter in the SQL
loader? That would take care of something like loading all of the
classes or students for what my group considers to be the current semester.

Is there a way to use a group attribute to substitute in for part of a
group name? Then if I load class or enrollment or whatever membership
into a group with the term code in the path, I could then substitute out
that path element with an attribute, or some other method.

Like I said, I'm probably over complicating the process. But it seems
that figuring out how to handle semester changes is one of the critical
things for us to figure out to be understand how to design how Grouper
will work.

Thanks,

Richard

  • [grouper-users] How to handle semester changes, Richard Frovarp, 01/07/2019