grouper-users - [grouper-users] Searching AD subject source by DN

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] Searching AD subject source by DN

  • From: Sam Erie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [grouper-users] Searching AD subject source by DN
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 11:27:27 -0800
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

I am trying to resolve group subjects by their DN. I had everything set up and working correctly with sAMAccountName, but when I changed the id attribute to distinguishedName it stopped working. I can still search correctly by identifier (displayName) or general search (description), and when I findAll() using a wildcard it returns all subjects expected and their DN is correctly stored under id.

I am thinking the problem is because in AD filtering by distinguishedName has to be exact, cannot use wildcards. The searchSubject filter I have set up in sources.xml looks like this:

(&amp;(distinguishedName=TERM)(objectclass=group))

Which should not use a wildcard. So is it possible something extra is happening when TERM is swapped out for the actual searchValue?

I couldn't find anything about this in the list archive, so please let me know if there is any known method for searching by distinguishedName.