grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] When was grouper born?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] When was grouper born?

  • From: Steven Carmody <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] When was grouper born?
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 13:49:04 -0400
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

I *think* that V1 of Grouper was modeled on the functionality provided by Brown Grouper. Brown's system supported a hierarchical namespace, included support for set arithmetic, and provided a set of APIs to query and update groups. Brown Grouper was implemented by James Mathiesen; it was developed BEFORE the ldap protocol was defined.

That said, let me be the first to state that Tom, Chris, Shilen, Blair, GW Brown, Bert, Caleb, and many others have designed and built, in future versions of Grouper, an absolutely *amazing* system. It does groups in a stupendous way. And it also does so many other things in an amazing way that we continue to explore it, find new features, and become amazed by it. When we need to solve a problem, we start by looking at Grouper. Thank you team !

and here's the oldest email that I have in my Grouper folder. Note the date -- 21 May 2001