grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] what is a group authorized to do ?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] what is a group authorized to do ?

  • From: Steven Carmody <>
  • To: "Waldbieser, Carl" <>, Dave Churchley <>
  • Cc: Julio Polo <>, Grouper-Users <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] what is a group authorized to do ?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 16:27:31 -0500
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

Thanks ! This has been an interesting conversation.

We've been following the model that people have described for many many years. We have reference groups fed from Business Systems; we have aggregate groups composed from those reference groups ("your bundles"). And we give every Dept and Center on the campus their own STEM, and start them out with People and Projects STEMs, and a standard set of people groups (initially populated from the reference groups). We delegate to the Dept the authority to manage their own groups. We have an applications/services STEM, STEMs under that for each distinct service, STEMS and groups as needed within each Service STEM. We delegate to the Service Manager the responsibility to manage the membership of their service eligibility groups. We have other reference groups (undergraduate concentrations, graduate student programs, a replica of the Workday Supervisory ORG structure, etc).

This has worked marvelously for us !

A couple of questions, tho:

-- increasingly, for fine grained access control, service managers are using dept-managed groups (eg for ACLs on firewall ports). The people managing the dept groups want to know "what can Jane do after I add her to this group?". (ie suddenly she can access a bunch of new machines) How do you present the set of service eligibility groups to a Dept Admin person in a way that they'll understand ?

-- grouper's set arithmetic capabilities are stupendous ! We couldn't live without them ! But, how do you explain all these include and exclude groups to an administrative helper (who is managing groups for a research project) ? Someone who has trouble with set arithmetic ... how do you hide all that magic from them ?

thanks !