grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Modeling NIS netgroup?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Modeling NIS netgroup?

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Modeling NIS netgroup?
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 11:21:22 -0600
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

Hi Tom P,

Our design at UChicago for managing privileged access to systems uses a combination of several things, and I wondered if it might help you to think about the role grouper should play in that.

Grouper groups that contain system or application admins are managed by each team's supervisor/lead. These groups are used to limit user access either to a bastion host or "jump server" with local config that limits to which servers it can connect, or to an admin vpn on which a policy similarly limits the set of servers that users in each group can connect to. Either way, as the server populations change some firewall-ish changes are made on these privileged access devices, and as the sys/app admin population changes the grouper groups are updated. This approach also has some other benefits such as enforcing 2FA and closer monitoring and other security measures for privileged access to systems.

Tom B