Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List
Re: [grouper-users] description field for students
- From: Marwan Shaher <>
- Subject: Re: [grouper-users] description field for students
- Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 16:52:06 -0600
- Ironport-phdr: 9a23:qPz9XRVQ+NDmVw/XysZnNGhY9RzV8LGtZVwlr6E/grcLSJyIuqrYZRyOt8tkgFKBZ4jH8fUM07OQ6P+wHzFbqs/c+Fk5M7VyFDY9wf0MmAIhBMPXQWbaF9XNKxIAIcJZSVV+9Gu6O0UGUOz3ZlnVv2HgpWVKQka3AyR6KtzSP8aS0p32hKiO/MjceQJVnDenJK5pIQ+thQTXqsQMh4Z+cOA8xgaajGFPfrFzzHl3LFTbpBb15sqqtMpm+j5PsvRn7M5JUajgV48/SbtCBTghdU0Z2Zu45lH4UQKT6y5EAS0tmR1SDl2YtRw=
This was something we planned on revisiting in our environment. We deployed with the "Description" field populated with the displayName attribute value, the same as the "Name" field. So yes, in the new UI, the "Description" field appears right below the "Name" field with the same values. The decision at the time was due to privacy concerns even though an authenticated users can still query and read that same information from the source directly. An example of the description field in our source looks like the following:
"Student - (Senior) dept-Computer Science major-Studio Arts" .
However, we have a subject virtual attribute defined in the sources.xml file that combines the displayName and the netID values, so it looks something like this:
"John Smith (josm1234)"
This virtual attribute and value appear when expanding the subject's information to display more information in the new UI. This is also how the possible subjects are displayed when someone starts typing to add a subject to a group in the new UI. We are also considering adding email as another attribute to add to this virtual attribute. Perhaps a subject virtual attribute can be defined in your environment to combine the description value from the source plus another attribute. Then this virtual attribute can be substituted for the Grouper description field?
Identity & Access Management
University of Colorado Boulder
On 09/19/2016 01:35 PM, Jared Hoffman wrote:
We recently started allowing delegated management of groups in
Grouper. The feedback has been good and the release of my time has
The one confusing point we've seen is for people who manage student
memberships. Our description field in active directory is job title
for employees and "class of 20xx" for students. When adding a student,
the selection popup show a list of almost identical descriptions of
class year. It is particularly confusing when looking for a common
name like Smith without knowing the exact user name.
What do others use for the student description? Do you append name to
- [grouper-users] description field for students, Jared Hoffman, 09/19/2016
- Re: [grouper-users] description field for students, Marwan Shaher, 09/19/2016
- RE: [grouper-users] description field for students, Hyzer, Chris, 09/23/2016
Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.19.