grouper-users - [grouper-users] SourceAdapter Issue with Grouper 2.2.2

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] SourceAdapter Issue with Grouper 2.2.2

  • From: Jutta Biernath <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [grouper-users] SourceAdapter Issue with Grouper 2.2.2
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 14:49:53 +0000 (UTC)
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:Vqzi/hZXeDN4yYlIVbg3bt7/LSx+4OfEezUN459isYplN5qZpsW4bnLW6fgltlLVR4KTs6sC0LWG9f27EjVdqb+681k8M7V0HycfjssXmwFySOWkMmbcaMDQUiohAc5ZX0Vk9XzoeWJcGcL5ekGA6ibqtW1aLDykalEwfr29WtGKzpf/6+fn9IfUfh1Fnn+ger5oNz23qxncrM8bndEkJ6osmTXTpX4dWflK2WogD1OehRD1+sf4qJx+7zhZ/fgg+tRGWLn6V6olCLZVFjAnNSY56Zu45lH4UQKT6y5EAS0tmR1SDl2atBw=

Hi,

I try to have Grouper 2.2.2 run on a VM with Jessie, Openjdk7 and Tomcat 8,
and I am facing an odd problem. After the installation the GrouperShell runs
without any problem, but as soon as I copy the war-file into the tomcat
webapps folder I get a severe error saying

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.GrouperSourceAdapter.initParams()Ljava/util/P
roperties;
at
edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.GrouperSourceAdapter.init(GrouperSourceAdapte
r.java:420)
at
edu.internet2.middleware.subject.provider.SourceManager.loadSource(SourceManag
er.java:347)

This error occurs whenever Tomcat tries an auto deploy of the war file.

After many many hours of searching I found out the following:

GrouperSourceAdapter extends BaseSourceAdapter; the above named method
"initParams()" is a method which is declared in BaseSourceAdapter.java, right?

Not necessaril: It is declared in a newer version of BaseSourceAdapter.java,
which is built within grouper.jar. But: BaseSourceAdapter.java is also used in
subject.jar, which comes along with Grouper 2.2.2, but this time in the old
version *without* the method "initParams()".

Having no other explanation for my problem I think that Tomcat 8 reads for any
reason first the old version of BaseSourceAdapter in subject.jar, then is read
GrouperSourceAdapter in grouper.jar - oops, no initParams-Method found, so an
error is thrown.

Can you confirm this behaviour? If no: Do you have an idea what else could
cause this problem? If yes: Could you provide another subject.jar with an
updated BaseSourceAdapter?

Thank you,

Jutta Biernath
Freie Universität Berlin