grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Need composite groups with more than 2 factors

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Need composite groups with more than 2 factors

  • From: "Bellina, Brendan" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Need composite groups with more than 2 factors
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 21:23:29 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:23

Bill,

That sounds like a workable naming convention.  Thanks for the description.

Regards,

Brendan Bellina
Identity Mgmt. Architect, IT Services, UCLA
✉     +1 310 206 3131

From: "William G. Thompson, Jr." <>
Date: Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 12:53 PM
To: Brendan Bellina <>
Cc: "" <>

The general approach we've taken at Lafayette is to have the final "authorization group" (i.e. the composite group) be composed of two groups; service_allow - service_deny, where each of those groups have sub groups that create effective membership and adhere to the desired access policy.

composite group: service_authorize = service_allow - service_deny

service_allow might have subgroups of reference groups for faculty, staff, student, etc or other ad-hoc groups and together make up the default access policy (generally we don't add direct membership assignments for people to the "allow" group, this way people come in and out of the service_authorize as reference groups change based on SoR feeds)

service_deny has our "big red button deny group" as a sub group. If you show up in that for whatever reason it turns down access across the board.

Make sense?

Best,
Bill