Skip to Content.
Sympa Menu

grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] patched 2.2.2: jarfile mismatch warning, utf8 error?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

List archive

RE: [grouper-users] patched 2.2.2: jarfile mismatch warning, utf8 error?

Chronological Thread 
  • From: "Hyzer, Chris" <>
  • To: Baron Fujimoto <>
  • Cc: Grouper-Users <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] patched 2.2.2: jarfile mismatch warning, utf8 error?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 01:54:39 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Authentication-results:; dkim=none (message not signed) header.d=none;; dmarc=none action=none;
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:23

Regarding utf-8, can you save a utf-8 string group in your UI and see it back
in the UI?

About the patching, you shouldn’t apply API patches to a UI, only apply UI
patches (it will do the API too).

I opened a jira which will allow you to do it that way in the future...


-----Original Message-----
From: Baron Fujimoto

Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 8:33 PM
To: Hyzer, Chris
Subject: Re: [grouper-users] patched 2.2.2: jarfile mismatch warning, utf8

Hi Chris,

I applied the latest set of patches. They appear to have addressed the
jarfile mismatch issue (tnx!), but the UTF8 error remains.

Speaking of patches though, the grouper patching mechanism has been
somewhat fragile in my experience. I often find myself having to "fix"
patches that have already been applied. This seems to stem from the
patches for components such as the UI or WS not properly accounting for
previously applied patches say, in the API, or even in the same component
(but I'm speculating). I don't see others on the grouper-users list
reporting these sorts of tribulations though, which suggests my
experiences are atypical?

Generally my procedure has been, given the dependencies of the UI and WS
on the API, to first patch the API, then the UI and WS respectively.

For example, I was most recently able to successfully apply the API
patches, but when I attempted to apply the UI patches, it complained that
the one of the API patches has not been successfully applied. Usually the
subsequent patch attempt for another component often results in these
sorts of errors:

Cannot apply patch since this patch file:

is not the same as what the patch expects:

- added to end of property file: grouper_v2_2_2_ui_patch_0.state = error

I've been working around these errors using the method described in the
section "What if patch doesnt work do[sic] to edited files?"

I didn't want to make this part of the reponse any longer, but I've
attached a transcript of my recent round of patching which illustrates


On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 06:46:26AM +0000, Hyzer, Chris wrote:
>This is fixed in patch grouper_v2_2_2_api_patch_7
>On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 5:22 PM, Baron Fujimoto
> wrote:
>After my last usage of the grouperInstaller to bring our instances of
>Grouper 2.2.2 to the current patch level, I'm now seeing the following
>in our tomcat logs:
>Grouper warning: jarfile mismatch, expecting name: 'subject.jar' size:
>262091 manifest version: 2.2.2. However the jar detected is:
>name: subject.jar size: 261985 manifest version: 2.2.2
>Error: Cannot properly read UTF string from resource: grouperUtf8.txt:
>I'm not actually sure what patches were installed, but I can see that
>these warnings and errors weren't issued in previous log files.
>Googling seems to turn up numerous instances of the jarfile mismatch warning,
>including this 2.2.1->2.2.2 upgrade example page:
>But I haven't found anything that actually discusses the warning itself.
>As far the UTF8 error, we have all of the recommendations on the
>Internationalization page at
>and, as noted, afaik, it was working previously.

Baron Fujimoto
:: UH Information Technology Services
minutas cantorum, minutas balorum, minutas carboratum desendus pantorum

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.

Top of Page