grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] groups - email/mailing list options

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] groups - email/mailing list options

  • From: Steven Carmody <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] groups - email/mailing list options
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 17:04:46 -0500

we're trying to move the group membership management to Grouper, but are also stumbling on some of the differences between a group used as a mailing list and a group used for other purposes (eg access control).

With google groups, we've got a problem with "announcement" lists -- these usually have one group as recipients and a second group as authorized senders. With google, the only approach we've found is to use two Grouper groups, and push them into a single google group but with different google roles. This also requires managing the properties of the google group.

We've started to let group managers specify a "type" or "category" for a group within Grouper, and the resulting value will affect the properties we set in each of the target directories. This is particularly useful since the defaults in google and in AD aren't consistent. A couple of sample Category values are PrivateProject and PublicProject.