grouper-users - [grouper-users] groups - email/mailing list options

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] groups - email/mailing list options

  • From: Jeff McCullough <>
  • To: Gouper Users List <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] groups - email/mailing list options
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 12:44:33 -0800

This question is both for other schools as well as the grouper team. As we
look further at an integration with Google Groups, there are several mailing
list options to think thru. There are the issues of external identities and
options for requesting/subscribing/leaving a group (those standard mailing
list functions). If we want one group source, grouper, that pushes groups to
all the campus services, then grouper may need to have extra functionality.
If you have mailing list service, aka mailman, the ability to add any email
to a list is standard, send email to confirm are standard features. One can
also request to be added to a list. Subscribing/leaving are also standard,
and grouper already has those features in opt-in/opt-out permissions. When it
comes to sending email, I know it is possible to have grouper send email when
someone is added/removed from a group, but that is more a confirmation that
the event happened rather than a confirmation cycle where the person being
added is confirming they want to be added by replying or following a link.
I’m not suggesting that the confirmation cycle be there in groups, but noting
it is a standard feature of mailing lists. Lastly, when it comes to sending
emails, there are times when sending an email might be confusing or
unnecessary, so having a way to signal to the system that we want an email
sent is useful.

For any school that has made a conversion from a regular mailing list to
Google Groups, how did you had those features above? Did you find work
arounds or just decided they were not going to be available. For the grouper
team, I’m wondering if there has been any design discussions around including
email features and the ability to create an identity or to just include an
external email account in a group. I know that last one has all sorts of
issues, but just want to get a sense of direction. There are the external
identities which have an invite process and there are the general external
identity features offered through vendors like Cyrius Identity. There isn’t
the ability to just add an external identity when that might be useful.

Thanks,
Jeff