grouper-users - [grouper-users] composite groups - adhoc combined with official groups

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] composite groups - adhoc combined with official groups

  • From: Jeff McCullough <>
  • To: Grouper-Users <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] composite groups - adhoc combined with official groups
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 15:36:52 -0700

We are planning to utilize composite groups as a way of de-provisioning
access when a person leaves a role, ex. employee, student. That means that an
adhoc group will be intersected with an official group of employees. The
adhoc group will be known to whomever is creating the composite group, but
they may not need to have access to the membership of employees or students.
Thus all they really need to have for access to the official group is view.
The composite group UI currently requires read/view access to both groups
used. I can imagine the UI could be tweaked such that only view access was
needed for the official group. And yes, one could reverse engineer whether
someone is part of an official group by creating a composite group. That
said, it would be best to keep the access to official groups to a minimum.
How are other schools handling composite groups? Is there any desire to
create a modified UI to allow for view only access to one of the groups?

Thanks,
Jeff