grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Grouper UI authentication with CAS

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Grouper UI authentication with CAS

  • From: "Waldbieser, Carl" <>
  • To: Robert Bradley <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Grouper UI authentication with CAS
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 12:26:46 -0400 (EDT)

Yes, I have internal documentation on how we modified the WAR file:

= Grouper WAR Mods =
The Grouper UI war file contains :file:`WEB-INF/web.xml` that has several
`security-constraint`
and `login-config` stanzas. These can be removed by exploding the WAR file,
editing
:file:`WEB-INF/web.xml`, and creating a new WAR file::

$ mkdir grouper && cd grouper
$ jar -xvf $GROUPER_WARFILE
$ vim WEB-INF/web.xml
$ rm $GROUPER_WAR_FILE
$ jar -cvf $GROUPER_WAR_FILE *
$ cd .. && rm -Rf grouper/

These commands perform the following actions:

* Create a folder (named `grouper`) to store the exploded archive contents.
* Change the current folder to this temporary folder.
* Extract the WAR file contents to the folder.
* Invoke an editor on the :file:`web.xml` file. You need to remove the
stanzas with the
editor, then save and quit.
* Remove the original WAR file.
* Create a new WAR file from the exploded archive contents.
* Switch out of the temporary folder and remove it.

If you need to use an HTTP proxy instead of AJP to connect to Grouper, you
must tell Grouper to use an HTTP header:

= REMOTE_USER Header =
When using AJP, REMOTE_USER is set as an environment variable. To use a
reverse proxy without AJP, Grouper needs to be told to extract the user name
from a special HTTP header. In $GROUPER_UI/conf/grouper-ui.properties, set
the grouper.ui.authentication.http.header property to REMOTE_USER.

Thanks,
Carl