grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Subjects switching subject_source

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Subjects switching subject_source

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Tibor Rudas <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Subjects switching subject_source
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 14:13:24 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

I think it will work, that is what I would do.

On Behalf Of Tibor Rudas
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2014 6:21 AM

Hi,

We are currently using grouper (v 2.1.3 which will be upgraded soon :)
using multiple subject sources.

We are now trying to consolidate this situation by merging our two large
datasources into one. The first part is already done and I just changed
the view feeding the first subject_source which has worked without a flaw.

We will now migrate all UserIDs currently available via the second
subject_source. This will mean that all userIDs/subjects currently
visible via this subject_source will no longer be resolvable via this
source but will "appear" in the first subject_source.

My tests have shown, that grouper seemts to simply create a new entry in
the table GROUPER_MEMBERS for this combination but I doubt that this
would preserve the memberships for these userIDs (as these are complete
new IDs).

As far as I can see I can simply update the field SUBJECT_SOURCE in this
table to the first subject_source and grouper should keep using the same
object as it is still resolvable after the migration in the backend
(webfrontend, loader and psp will be turned off during the migration so
nothing should try to access the objects during the move).

My question: Is this approach ok or am I overlooking problems I'll
generate for myself? :)
This way of doing it would also be preferable to me as I could rename
the whole first subject_source this way as its old description and even
short name are no longer valid and misleading after the merge.

If this is _not_ the way to do it - is there a better way to accomplish
this? Simply deactivating them with the unresolvable subject tool and
have grouper create the entries for the "new" subjects seems undesirable
to me as I don't think it would preserve memberships and creates several
"orphans" in the system (approximately 100.000).

thanks for any feedback, comments and help,
Tibor Rudas, university of vienna