Skip to Content.
Sympa Menu

grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Update on my AD PSP issue, some progress (New Update)

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

List archive

RE: [grouper-users] Update on my AD PSP issue, some progress (New Update)

Chronological Thread 
  • From: "Bryan E. Wooten" <>
  • To: Shilen Patel <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Update on my AD PSP issue, some progress (New Update)
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 14:27:10 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Authentication-results:; dkim=neutral (message not signed) header.i=none

Ok, so I configured my sources.xml and to use AD instead of LDAP (I left all the psp*.xml files alone) and am able to provision a group to AD.


Checking the wireshark trace I see that the cn equals the group name. This confirms my speculation below.


So for some reason when the subject source is ldap the cn gets set to uofu:bryan22:groupname but when the subject source is AD the cn is set to just groupname.


If someone can point me  to the code that sets cn when the ldap addrequest is made I’ll try and debug the cause. This will be a show stopper for me if I can’t find a work around.  If I can’t get the PSP to provision groups to AD with an LDAP source I’ll probably be force to write my own change log consumer or something.


I am sure I will run into similar issues when I try and add members to a group. But I’ll save that hurdle for another day.






From: Bryan E. Wooten
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:37 PM
To: Shilen Patel; Bryan E. Wooten;
Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Update on my AD PSP issue, some progress


With the help of a colleague we noticed that the cn was passed as uofu:bryan22:group1 while the dn was cn=group1,ou=bryan22,ou=uofu,ou=groups,ou=grouper,dc=testad,dc=utah,dc=edu.


We think the cn value is the problem. I am going to reconfigure back to my known good AD provisioning (with AD subject source) and capture a group add request and do a comparison of the cn value passed.


I'll do the test tomorrow and get back with an update.






From: Shilen Patel <>
Date: Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:08 PM
To: Bryan Wooten <>, "" <>
Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Update on my AD PSP issue, some progress


From the logs, what does the <addRequest> look like?




-- Shilen


From: "Bryan E. Wooten" <>
Date: Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:20 PM
To: "" <>
Subject: [grouper-users] Update on my AD PSP issue, some progress


In case anyone is interested.


Thanks to Shilen I am able to have an LDAP subject source and use the PSP to provision stems as an OU to AD.

The trick was to NOT change the <Service> id=”ldap”. I had thought I could change it to id=”ad” and make adjustments in the other psp xml files.


My next was to create a group in my new stem and provision that group to AD. The good news is that the PSP tried. The bad news is that I get an LDAP error:


2013-06-20 13:35:24,604: [main] ERROR BaseSpmlProvider.execute(188) -  - Target 'ldap' - Add AddResponse[pso=<null>,status=failure,error=customError,errorMessages={cn=g9,ou=bryan23,ou=uofu,OU=groups,OU=grouper,DC=testad,DC=utah,DC=edu: [LDAP: error code 34 - 00002081: NameErr: DSID-03050C42, problem 2003 (BAD_ATT_SYNTAX), data 0, best match of:



I traced the request with wireshark and can see the add request and returned error. Looking at the request packet I don’t see anything wrong (but I am not an expert at decoding the LDAP protocol).


I have successfully created groups in AD using the PSP (with an AD subject source), so I know the PSP can do it. As usual I have no clue what is causing this given that Grouper/PSP can successfully bind and create an OU.


Thanks for listening.



  • RE: [grouper-users] Update on my AD PSP issue, some progress (New Update), Bryan E. Wooten, 06/21/2013

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.

Top of Page