grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] p6spy not compatible with Oracle JDBC driver ojdbc6.jar?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] p6spy not compatible with Oracle JDBC driver ojdbc6.jar?

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Dominique Petitpierre <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] p6spy not compatible with Oracle JDBC driver ojdbc6.jar?
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 18:30:12 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

It works for me, but I think the driver class name changed, so in your
spy.properties you should have:

realdriver=oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver

Does it work if you have that? I guess we should update the example grouper
drivers at some point...

On Behalf Of Dominique Petitpierre
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 6:20 PM

Subject: [grouper-users] p6spy not compatible with Oracle JDBC driver
ojdbc6.jar?

Hello,

trying to debug some problem with Grouper I configured p6spy according
to the wiki page "Database debugging with p6spy"
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Database+debugging+with+p6spy

But it wasn't working: the log file was created but was not collecting
SQL statements as expected.

After a lot of hair pulling, I eventually tried, without much hope, to
revert the Oracle JDBC driver from ojdbc6.jar to ojdbc14.jar from the
Grouper 2.1.3 distribution and thereafter, to my surprise, p6spy did
work OK.

- Has anybody noticed this problem as well?

- Is there a way to make p6spy work with ojdbc6.jar?

- Could this problem be related to the "Customizations Made to P6SPY"? cf.
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Database+debugging+with+p6spy#Databasedebuggingwithp6spy-CustomizationsMadetoP6SPY

- Is this also happening with other JDBC driver versions (mysql,
etc.)?

Context:
Grouper 2.1.3
java version "1.6.0_38"
Oracle DB: 11g (11.2.0)

unzip -p ojdbc6.jar META-INF/MANIFEST.MF \
| egrep 'Specification|Implementation'
Implementation-Title: JDBC
Implementation-Version: 11.2.0.3.0
Specification-Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
Specification-Title: JDBC
Specification-Version: 4.0

unzip -p ojdbc14.jar META-INF/MANIFEST.MF \
| egrep 'Specification|Implementation'
Specification-Title: Oracle JDBC driver classes for use with JDK14
Implementation-Title: ojdbc14_g.jar
Specification-Vendor: Oracle Corporation
Specification-Version: Oracle JDBC Driver version - "10.2.0.4.0"
Implementation-Version: Oracle JDBC Driver version - "10.2.0.4.0"
Implementation-Vendor: Oracle Corporation
Implementation-Time: Sat Feb 2 11:53:00 2008

There was some discussion on the list about the suitability of using
ojdbc6.jar with an Oracle 11g DB for Grouper:

[grouper-users] Grouper compatible with Oracle 11g/UTF8?
https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2012-08/msg00051.html

[grouper-users] Oracle JDBC Driver
https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/grouper-users/2012-11/msg00076.html

ojdbc6.jar has been working fine in our environment for both the
Grouper DB and the loader, and it seems to be a bad idea to keep
ojdbc14.jar intended for the very old java 1.4 when one runs java 6.

- Is there way to avoid to choose between a mismatched driver and the
inability to debug the traffic with the DB? (I used wireshark, but
that was quite cumbersome.)

- Thanks in advance for your answers!

Best regards,
Dominique
--
Mr Dominique Petitpierre, user=Dominique.Petitpierre domain=unige.ch
IT Division, University of Geneva, Switzerland