grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] TR : [Grouper API] problem with special characters in displayName

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] TR : [Grouper API] problem with special characters in displayName

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Nicolas Forney <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] TR : [Grouper API] problem with special characters in displayName
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 14:33:07 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Grouper does not convert any characters, but the problem is the database requires multiple chars to store non empty chars.  So, the algorithm I use which is safe, and any non-ascii char we count as 3 J  So you can truncate that way…  Here is the method I use when doing the calculation:

  /**

   * find the length of ascii chars (non ascii are counted as three)

   * @param input is the string to operate on

   * @param requiredLength length we need the string to be

   * @return the length of ascii chars

   */

  public static String truncateAscii(String input, int requiredLength) {

    if (input == null) {

      return input;

    }

    //see what real length is