grouper-users - [grouper-users] Obliterate stem problem?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] Obliterate stem problem?

  • From: Earl Lewis <>
  • To: "<>" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] Obliterate stem problem?
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 18:45:42 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

I tried running obliterateStem today, both in test mode and in live mode. When I ran it as a test, with obliterateStem("stem:id:path", true, false) it dutifully told me that it "Would be done deleting group: this:and:that" all the way down the stem I specified. However, when I ran it in live mode it choked on some large groups far down the list, after about 30-40 mins. of processing.

The reason for the failure was that there was a composite group in another stem referencing the group trying to be deleted. So there was an integrity constraint violation in the database and processing failed. Test mode failed to reveal this fact and so I just went ahead assuming everything was going to work.

Is this something that the test mode could/should detect and report? It would certainly be nice if it would because then you'd have a heads up that there's some maintenance to do before you attempt to run it for real. I'd be glad to submit this as a bug if it's something that really ought to be fixed. Let me know what you think.

Earl
801-581-3635 (office)
801-554-3596 (mobile)