grouper-users - [grouper-users] replicating groups to google, throttling algorithm

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] replicating groups to google, throttling algorithm

  • From: Steven Carmody <>
  • To: Grouper-Users <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] replicating groups to google, throttling algorithm
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 15:42:33 -0400

Hi,

We'll be making some changes to the mechanisms we use to replicate groups from MACE Grouper to Google. We currently have the Grouper Change Log process send a message on a Message Bus; various listeners pick up the msg and replicate the change into various external directories and services.

One of those listeners talks to google. Traditionally, one of the problems with this mechanisms has been that google "throttles" the total volume of thruput thru its interfaces. The Listener used a weird adaptive algorithm to keep the traffic volume just below google's trigger point.

Since we're about to make some changes here, I thought it would be a good time to ask whether anyone knows whether google's throttling algorithm has seen any significant changes in the last year or so. Have the parameters on the google end changed enough that we should change our "self-throttling" algorithm ?

Thanks for any hints and information!