grouper-users - [grouper-users] do we still need group lists in grouper v2.2?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] do we still need group lists in grouper v2.2?

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] do we still need group lists in grouper v2.2?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 18:08:58 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Just curious about this…

Group lists are a way for a group to have multiple lists of users.  For example, a group named:

mySchool:courses:math:math101

could have two lists:  “members” (meaning students, this is the default list), and “instructors”.

You can see who is in the instructors list via WS, you can add/remove etc, but you couldn’t add the instructors list to another group.  We currently have this problem with group privileges, you cant add the people who have ADMIN to another group, without creating another group, adding the admins, and adding the admin group to the ADMINS of the group, and wherever else you want to add it.

The workaround is to create multiple groups to hold your lists.  E.g.

mySchool:courses:math:math101_students

mySchool:courses:math:math101_instructors

Anyways, the reason we thinking about changing this is we are migrating the old style group attributes to the new style, and the group lists are related.  Do we need to migrate the group lists to the new style?  Are you using these and you want them supported in 2.2+?  J

Ps. btw, it would be a decent amount of work to add the ability to add lists to another group, Grouper’s core data model would need to be changed drastically.