grouper-users - [grouper-users] Managing grouper loader/grouper daemon

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] Managing grouper loader/grouper daemon

  • From: Mike Roszkowski <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [grouper-users] Managing grouper loader/grouper daemon
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 16:10:25 -0500

How are people managing the grouper loader process/grouper daemon? Are there
any "best practices" people can share for starting, stopping, and restarting
it?

We're running grouper 2.1.1 under 64-bit RedHat Linux. Do people use the
screen
utility to run loader or do they simply start the loader using gsh
and then background the process? Or are most people using the tanuki
java service wrapper for this?

Since the loader has to be restarted after changes to loader jobs, etc.,
it seems like it would be convenient to have a script to stop and
start it, as well as to start it on machine boot.

I've found the information in the grouper book on using tanuki software's
java service wrapper, but I've not been successful getting it to run the
loader. (I'm getting a "class found but could not be initialized" error for
the GrouperLoader class due to "problem with resource: 'log4j.properties'",
though I can run the loader from the command line with gsh without any
problem.)

Thanks for any help you can provide.
--Mike Roszkowski
UW-Madison Division of Information Technology, Middleware

  • [grouper-users] Managing grouper loader/grouper daemon, Mike Roszkowski, 08/27/2012