grouper-users - [grouper-users] How to set the "Group types" of a group via the API

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] How to set the "Group types" of a group via the API

  • From: Daniel Patrick Sullivan <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [grouper-users] How to set the "Group types" of a group via the API
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 17:10:12 -0500

Hi, grouper-users,

First off, I would like to say please forgive me if my question(s) are
not phrased properly or if I misuse terminology; I am not a
professional software developer by any means; I'll admit this is the
first time I've really delved into the world of API programming.
That being said, I was hoping that somebody out there with a few extra
minutes to spare could read over my email and see if they could
possibly help me with my ongoing Grouper REST initiative.

Basically, I am struggling to figure out how to perform the following
operation on a single group object (so far I have been able to both
create groups and add members to groups).

1) I would like to set the "Type" of a group; I am confused because
this does not appear to be an "Attribute" (attributes are on a
different page). I would like to check the box that says "ADSync" on
the screenshot at the URL provided below;

https://webshare.uchicago.edu/users/dansully/Public/Screen%20Shot%202012-07-04%20at%204.20.37%20PM.png

Would it be possible for somebody to tell me which method and possibly
which XML element (I am using REST) to use for this particular
operation (based on my understanding this is not an attribute)? Is
setting this possible via the web services API? I believe we (the U
of C) are using grouper version 1_6_003. Thank-you so much for your
time, I wish you a nice holiday.

Dan Sullivan