grouper-users - [grouper-users] Database high availability with Oracle RAC and SCAN

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] Database high availability with Oracle RAC and SCAN

  • From: Gagné Sébastien <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] Database high availability with Oracle RAC and SCAN
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:16:39 -0400

Hello,

We are deploying Grouper in an high availability environment using an Oracle database and we would like to confirm Grouper’s behaviour regarding databases.

We have 2 database servers using RAC mode (real application cluster) behind a SCAN address. Basically applications configures their DB URL using the single URL (see grouper config example below) and the SCAN+driver takes cares of getting the IP address of an available server (usually based on load or other configuration). I successfully used Grouper with the RAC+SCAN database architecture, but we were wondering if it will react properly if/when one of the servers becomes unresponsive.

We would like to know how Grouper reacts regarding database failures.

Will Grouper automatically retry failed commands ? If I does, the SCAN will give the IP of the other available server.

Will grouper report an error and stop working ? Then high availability of the database is non-existent.

Grouper connect string example :

jdbc:oracle:thin:@//db-alias.umontreal.ca:1521/SERVICENAME.UMONTREAL.CA

In comparison, when installing Oracle products we are using a connect URL like :

db-alias.umontreal.ca:1521^db-alias.umontreal.ca:

This format enables RAC mode, meaning the product will try the second URL if the first one fails. Since SCAN is a single URL we have it 2 times to force the application to retry the same connection, but this time the SCAN will give another IP for the database server.

Thank you

Sébastien Gagné,     | Analyste en informatique

514-343-6111 x33844  | Université de Montréal,