grouper-users - [grouper-users] Question regarding hierarchical group structure in target domains

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] Question regarding hierarchical group structure in target domains

  • From: Daniel Patrick Sullivan <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [grouper-users] Question regarding hierarchical group structure in target domains
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:30:24 -0500

Hi, Grouper Users,

I have a question about the structure of how groups can be written to
a Microsoft Active Directory domain using grouper. I am trying to
create a group in grouper, and make other groups members of that group
(which I believe I have done correctly), however, when I write the
parent group to to Active Directory, it appears that the membership of
the child groups are being evaluated and flattened out into a single
group with members of all child groups defined in the parent. I
would like the hierarchical structure defined in grouper to be
maintained in-tact in the target AD. Is this possible? Is the
flattening of the parent group in the target what I should expect to
see as normal behavior? I have taken some screenshots of the behavior
that I described:

https://webshare.uchicago.edu/users/dansully/Public/grouper_nesting_hierarchical_source.PNG
https://webshare.uchicago.edu/users/dansully/Public/grouper_nesting_flattened_target.PNG

Thank-you so much for your input.