grouper-users - [grouper-users] Grouper 2.1.0 Lite Ui and Shib

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] Grouper 2.1.0 Lite Ui and Shib

  • From: Scott Koranda <>
  • To: grouper-users <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] Grouper 2.1.0 Lite Ui and Shib
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:29:25 -0500

Hi,

We use Shibboleth to protect access to our Grouper UIs.

With Grouper 1.6.x I followed these nice instructions from the
Newcastly folks:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/Grouper/Newcastle+University+-+Protecting+UI+With+Shib

When attempting to do the same thing with Grouper 2.1.0 I
found that web.xml contains elements like

<auth-constraint>

instead of <user-data-constraint>. So I treated
<auth-constraint> as if it were <user-data-constraint> and
following the instructions above I set the element content to
NONE.

That caused the Lite UI to fail with a 403.

I then edited web.xml and did a global replace of
<auth-constraint> with <user-data-constraint> and that fixed
the Lite UI.

Two questions:

1) Did I do anything unsafe or incorrect by changing
<auth-constraint> to <user-data-constraint>?

2) Is <auth-constraint> correct and the Newcastle doc just
needs to be updated for 2.1.x or is that a distribution bug?

Thanks,

Scott