grouper-users - [grouper-users] RE: Grouper Atlassian connector

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] RE: Grouper Atlassian connector

  • From: "Christopher J. Hubing" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] RE: Grouper Atlassian connector
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:16:31 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Chris Hyzer wrote:

The ticket with Atlassian confirmed that:

1. osuser is gone
2. there is no other Java interface to use

However, they said I could just edit the SQL tables: cwd_group cwd_user and cwd_membership... Not sure how long that will last, or how the caching works with it, or how the id's work, but it seems like a solution, especially if you are using XMPP notifications from grouper, otherwise maybe a change log consumer, or just refresh hourly? I guess the Jira admins need to know that you cant edit groups in Jira, that you have to go through Grouper... hmmm

Chris,
Thanks for following up with Atlassian on this issue. My group keeps receiving requests to stand up a Jira instance for the University, like we did with Confluence.

We made our Confluence instance completely self-service and we would like to be able to do the same thing with Jira. If a user is in our psu.facstaff group (with membership of around 29,000), they can create a confluence space and admin it themself. It supports Shib/SAML and OpenID for AuthN and LDAP groups for AuthZ (we have 68,601 groups in the University groups registry as of this morning). All this works fine with the current version of Confluence that we are running (3.4.3).

Atlassian has changed the code in 3.5, in that for LDAP support to work, it has to sync your entire directory of users and groups into its own database. This sync would have to include all users that can use the service (we have ~ 158,000) and groups (that 68,601 number I mentioned earlier). The atlassian-user.xml file, where you used to be able to configure LDAP directories, is also gone in this newer version.

I saw the Grouper Atlassian connector as a possible way to sidestep the very dumb design change that Atlassian decided to make. I was hoping to be able to implement the connector for both Confluence and Jira.

Has anyone run into this syncing issue and come up with a decent workaround? I don't want to have to stay at this old version in order not to break my group support and I really don't want to sync the entire directory into a single application.

-c

Are people interested in this path?