grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Keeping change logs and audit logs from using too much space

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Keeping change logs and audit logs from using too much space

  • From: Nathan Kopp <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Keeping change logs and audit logs from using too much space
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 13:06:15 -0400

> > + Would a simple sql request, deleting audit entries older than
> > a given age, be enough?
> >

> Yes. This is what we will at to Grouper at some point (hopefully soon)
>
> > + On sites that do trim the audit logs, what kind of policies are
> > used to decide which entries are deleted? (i.e. more complex than
> > just age).
> >

> Penn has done it just by age, not sure about other places

In addition to deleting simply by age, it would be nice to delete "outdated"
entries. For example, I'm querying the audit log for "attestation"
information (i.e. "who was responsible for assigning or removing a particular
group membership"). It would be good to always keep the most recent row for
certain types of audit actions (such as addMember), even if that row is very
old. When cleanup is introduced, it would be nice if it could be flexible
enough to achieve this goal. Thanks!

Nathan Kopp
Applications Strategist
Information Technology Group
Campus Crusade for Christ, Int'l
407-826-2939 Office | 407-484-8485 Mobile | 407-826-2968 Fax