grouper-users - [grouper-users] Use of the colon (:) in group names.

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] Use of the colon (:) in group names.

  • From:
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] Use of the colon (:) in group names.
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 23:00:30 -0400 (EDT)

First off, thanks very much for the suggestion of looking at
University of Chicago's document:

https://wiki.uchicago.edu/display/idm/Group+Names

for guidance on creating group names. This document has been
*very* helpful.

In reviewing this document, a member of our team brought up the
question about the use of the colon character itself in group
names. He wonders if the use of the colon might run afoul of web
application firewalls. We don't have one as of yet, but he is
concerned that if typical web-app firewall signatures look for
colons it makes sense to not use something that will be flagged
every time. The theory is such a firewall looking for URL
manipulation might be wary of seeing colons.

Anybody have any ideas or experience in this area?

As an aside, I just *love* this cartoon on the subject of input
sanitation.

http://xkcd.com/327/

Of course there is also such a thing as LDAP injection too!

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/LDAP_injection

...BC

--
=====================================[