grouper-users - [grouper-users] attribute framework questions

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] attribute framework questions

  • From: Scott Koranda <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [grouper-users] attribute framework questions
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 21:56:06 -0500

Hi,

I am using Grouper 1.6.1.

I have some questions regarding the attribute framework:

1) Am I correct that I can use Grouper WS to assign attributes
(and values) and query on attributes (and values) but I cannot
use WS to define attributes?

Consider on this page

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/GrouperWG/Grouper+attribute+framework

this snippet of GSH code:

addRootStem("school","school");
addStem("school", "attr", "attr");
addStem("school:attr", "students", "students");
grouperSession = GrouperSession.startRootSession();
attrStudentsStem = StemFinder.findByName(grouperSession,
"school:attr:students");
studentsAttrDef = attrStudentsStem.addChildAttributeDef("students",
AttributeDefType.attr);
studentsAttrDef.setAssignToGroup(true);
studentsAttrDef.store();

2) In the line

studentsAttrDef = attrStudentsStem.addChildAttributeDef("students",
AttributeDefType.attr);

what precisely is the first argument to addChildAttributeDef()?

Is the second argument boilerplate, or can it take different
values?

3) With the line

studentsAttrDef.setAssignToGroup(true);

what precisely does setAssignToGroup() do and why do I want or
need to call it with argument 'true'?

4) Is the line

studentsAttrDef.store();

necessary? Why?

Consider from that same page the GSH command

attrArtsAndSciences =
attrStudentsStem.addChildAttributeDefName(studentsAttrDef, "artsAndSciences",
"artsAndSciences");

5) After I create an attribute definition, is it necessary that
I also create an attribute definition name?

If it is not necessary, why might I want to do it?

Thanks,

Scott