grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Very early stages of deploying groups in LDAP...

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Very early stages of deploying groups in LDAP...

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Very early stages of deploying groups in LDAP...
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:45:45 -0500

>> Does Grouper require or suggest a particular LDAP structure and/or
>> group naming convention?  I want to make sure we don't paint
>> ourselves into a corner early on, so we can keep our options open
>> for as long as possible.

> U Chicago's group naming plan might provide a starting point for your
> thoughts about naming:
>
> https://wiki.uchicago.edu/display/idm/Group+Names

I think it is a good idea to implement group names as a sequence of
name components (for example "uc:org:group") as early as possible. The
sooner that consumers|users of groups become familiar with component
names the better.

At Memphis, I have been reluctant to transition from our legacy name
space ("ITD Staff") to Grouper's suggested naming convention (
"memphis:itd:staff") because of entrenched use and Active Directory.
In my AD experience, the LDAP RDN (cn="ITD Staff") appears in various
places such as ADUC and Exchange's GAL, making a transition from
emailing "ITD Staff" to "memphis:itd:staff" a potential disruption for
users.

And, in a federated group environment, our legacy names will become untenable.

TomZ

AD = Active Directory
ADUC = AD Users & Computers management GUI
GAL = Global Address List (the address book for Outlook etc)