grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] governance for groups

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] governance for groups

  • From: Niels van Dijk <>
  • To: Eileen Roach <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] governance for groups
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:17:18 +0200

Hi Eileen,

What kind of governance model are you referring to? The groups themselfs
or the way groups are used in the apps?

We only have groups to support collaboration.
We have groups that can contain institutional members and/or guests. We
do not allow guest only groups. Only institutional users can be the
group admin. The group admin role can be transferred, but again only to
an institutional user. Any institutional user can setup his/her own
groups for use in a collab environment and can invite other users. A
group is deprovisioned as soon as the last institutional member leaves
the group.

From the perspective of the application there are (only) 3 group roles:
group admin (can do anything in respect to the group), collabmin (can
only change group members, but not other group characteristics), member.
We do not enforce any privileges in applications, based on these roles,
we suggest the applications that consume the users role should implement
privileges that match the role the user has in that group.

Hope this helps,
regards,

Niels

--
Niels van Dijk
Advanced Services

T: +31 302 305 337 / M: +31 651 347 657
SURFnet - PO Box 19035 - NL-3501 DA Utrecht - The Netherlands -

http://www.surfnet.nl
SURFnet - We make innovation work

  • governance for groups, Eileen Roach, 04/22/2010
    • Re: [grouper-users] governance for groups, Niels van Dijk, 04/23/2010