grouper-users - LDAP provisioning: pre-provision search failing

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

LDAP provisioning: pre-provision search failing

  • From: Elliot Kendall <>
  • To:
  • Subject: LDAP provisioning: pre-provision search failing
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:02:17 -0500

I'm having trouble provisioning groups into LDAP with my Grouper
install. I invoke ldappc with:

$ bin/gsh.sh -ldappc -groups -memberships

The interesting bit of the error log reads in part:

> 2010-02-10 10:45:59,607: [main] ERROR Ldappc.run(282) - Grouper Provision
> Failed
> javax.naming.OperationNotSupportedException: [LDAP: error code 12 - LDAP
> control supported by LDAP data views only.]; remaining name
> 'dc=emory,dc=edu'

Looking at a packet capture of traffic between Grouper and the LDAP
server, it appears that this error is coming from a search with the
following filter:

(!(objectClass=groupOfNames))

As far as I can tell, our LDAP server simply doesn't support negations
in search filters. Is there any way to prevent ldappc doing this
search? What's it trying to determine?

This is with Grouper 1.5.1 on Java 1.6.0_18 64 bit. My ldappc.xml file
is attached. I appreciate any help!

--
Elliot Kendall
Lead Applications Analyst