grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Bad memberships and groups

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Bad memberships and groups

  • From: Mirko Tasler <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Bad memberships and groups
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:50:47 +0100

> To try to narrow down the problem, can you run the following SQL
> statements on your database? Hopefully the syntax will work with your
> DB. What DB are you using anyways?

We're using PostgreSQL 8.2.

> select owner_id, member_id, field_id from grouper_memberships where
> mship_type='immediate' group by owner_id, member_id, field_id having
> count(*) > 1;

Returns one row after 609ms.

> select owner_id, member_id, field_id from grouper_memberships where
> mship_type='composite' group by owner_id, member_id, field_id having
> count(*) > 1;

Returns nothing after 22ms.

> select owner_id, member_id, field_id, parent_membership from
> grouper_memberships where mship_type='effective' group by owner_id,
> member_id, field_id, parent_membership having count(*) > 1;

Returns nothing after 5653ms.

>> Yep, they're all resolvable. No, nothing in the log files (with
>> log level WARN). Haven't checked yet with lower log level yet
>> (shame on me).

> Shilen can respond to the other parts, but Im concerned about lack of
> logging. You are saying that when your log level is set to warn, and
> you try to remove a member of a group via the UI and get an error,
> you don't see anything in the logs? What error do you see on the
> screen?

There's no error:

>> I let it run in gsh.sh for 8 hours, no results, no CPU usage, so I
>> STRG-C'd it).

Basically, executing parentGroup.addMember(childGroup) in gsh never returned. Had this effect also when deleting from some other group,

Now, I let it run even longer and... got an OutOfMemoryError. Still, the last message in the log is the gsh startup message.

The parent group in this case also has lots of privileges everywhere, could this be a problem?

> grouperLoaderGroupsLike
> which is a SQL pattern of group names managed by the loader. If a
> group in your registry matches that string, but has no memberships in
> the loader, and is not in the optional grouperLoaderGroupQuery, then
> it will be removed. It is a little more complicated if the group is
> an include/exclude group.

Okay, fixed that one - thanks a lot!
Apparently, Grouper Loader does not remove empty Stems too, even if it created them itself?

> Also, is this a production emergency where things aren't working, or
> are you limping along?

If need be, we're happy to limp even further. ;)
We cannot update to 1.5 prior to May 2010 due to team resources. Luckily, none of the problems is a real showstopper.

Thanks again!

Mirko