grouper-users - Removal of custom attribute in grouper

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Removal of custom attribute in grouper

  • From: Raymond D Walker <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Removal of custom attribute in grouper
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 11:19:47 -0700

After creating a custom group type, then adding custom attributes, I was
able to remove/delete said custom attributes via typeDelField(type name,
field name). Once a custom attribute is used though, I find that it is
unable to be removed and/or cleaned up.

TypeDelField returns:
gsh 60% typeDelField("NAUENTGROUP", "gidnumber")
// Error: cannot delete field that is in use: gidnumber

First thought was to remove all use of the attribute... Alas, there is no
mechanism via either GSH or web calls... Or is there?

Any suggestions other than going through tables by hand to remove the
existence of a custom attribute that is no longer needed?

I also see this as a possible issue with removing custom group types... Does
it error out when dealing with custom attributes that are "still in use"?
(To be honest, I haven't tried to remove a group type "typeDel(typeName)" to
see if it cleans up custom attributes.) If it does remove the used
attributes, I sill think it's not a good way of removing custom attributes
due to it's destructive nature... ie. I'd like to keep around the other
custom attributes on my custom type.

Thanks for any info,
--
Raymond Walker